You will probably be aware of the Digital Switchover. It started on February 8th in Surrey.
As a result, there will be an increasing number of installers working in the area. There have been reports elsewhere in the country that offenders have used the switchover as an excuse to commit distraction burglaries.
Our guidance is:
1) The Switchover Team will NEVER cold call. An appointment would have been made weeks in advance to attend and do the work.
2) Engineers will have an ID card with a photograph and wear a reflective tabard.
3) The Help Scheme can arrange for a password in advance (recommended for elderly and vulnerable).
4) If unsure, call 0800 40 85 900 to verify the person at the door.
5) If an offence of burglary or theft has occurred or is suspected, notify the police at the time, as the offenders may still be in the area committing further offences.
6) Use the 101 number for non-emergencies and 999 where there is a risk to life or property.